How many ping pong balls could fit in a Boeing 747?

Given that this is an interview question (and one I've given in the past), the point of the question (for me, anyway) wasn't so much to see if people could estimate the volume of the passenger and cargo space, then figure out the volume of a ping pong ball and give me a literal number.

How many ping pong balls could fit in a Boeing 747?

But to see what sort of qualifying questions the candidate would ask. In other words, how does the candidate *think* about this problem?

For example, candidates who would ask things like, "What about the space in the galleys - can I use the ovens?" or, "What about the fuel cells in the wings?" were the ones who were distinguished in my mind.

In these interview questions you don't just want to come up with an answer - because that's not the point. I (or Google, or Goldman etc) already assume you can do anything up to reasonably complex math. The point is to see how you think and why you take certain paths.

Asked in: Google, Goldman


Source: Quora

Comments